Episode 4: Jenny Blake - How To Pivot Your Way To Your Dream Career
In episode 4 of our "Unleashing Superpowers" season, we are talking with the wonderful Jenny Blake, business and career strategist, international speaker and author of "Pivot: The Only Move That Matters Is Your Next One".
Jenny's motto is "If change is the only constant, let's get better at it." She wants people to have careers and lives that they truly love but understands how difficult change can be. Jenny has made it her work to find the practical strategies that help people to not only survive change but to positively thrive from it.
On a personal level, we love Jenny's warmth, compassion and generosity. She gets the reality of pivots having not only helped thousands of people through change, but having been many pivots of her own. She has the rare gift of not only making change doable, but downright desirable. Jenny is an absolutely true-hearted member of the Maverick tribe.
In this episode, some of the highlights of our conversation include:
- How nothing will teach you more about yourself than entrepreneurship and creative ventures
- The kinds of pivots that people are going through, either through choice or circumstance
- The trend of ‘high-net growth’ people who are not willing to stay put
- How people are becoming more fluid in their careers in and out of companies
- Career development as ‘downloading apps’ rather than ‘climbing the ladder’
- The 4- stage PIVOT formula to make change while minimising risk
- How to use small experiments to check out potential pivot moves
- The ’30/30’ and ‘mentor from afar’ methods for learning from other people who are already doing what you want to do
- The kinds of pilots you can do if you are in an organisation
- “Build first, courage later” as a way to build momentum
- How to fund your pivot - money, bridge income and runways
- Why the next step you take is the most important one
Jenny Blake - Author of PIVOT
Jenny Blake is an author, career and business strategist and international speaker who helps people organize their brain, move beyond burnout, and build sustainable, dynamic careers they love. She is the author of Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One (Portfolio/Penguin Random House, September 2016), which won an award for Axiom Best Business Book in the careers category. Jenny also hosts the popular Pivot Podcast, which CNBC listed among 6 podcasts to make you smarter about your career, Entrepreneur selected as one of the top 20 female-hosted business podcasts.
After two years at a technology start-up followed by five years at Google in Training and Career Development, Jenny moved to New York City in 2011 where she has been running her own consulting business in the years since. Jenny combines her love of technology with her superpower of simplifying complexity to help clients pivot their career or business. Her motto: if change is the only constant, let's get better at it.