Episode 15: Andy Molinsky - How to Bust Out Of Your Comfort Zone
"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone" - Neale Donald Walsch
Let's face it, the single biggest barrier between you and the life of freedom and adventure you yearn for is inertia i.e. your comfort zone. Most of us would rather stay comfortable than taking risks and pushing ourselves to become the person we know are capable of becoming.
Sooner or later, if you want to change, you have to bust out of your comfort zone.
That is exactly what this week's podcast guest, Andy Molinsky, has spent a lifetime studying. Andy is a Professor of International Business and Organisational Behaviour at Brandeis University and has written extensively on moving beyond your comfort zone.
For him this was born out of personal experience, having initially suffered from a crippling fear of public speaking. Public speaking is now a huge part of what Andy does for a living and he shares some of the techniques he used.
If you feel like you are in danger of stagnating and aren't feeling as successful as you would like, listening in is an absolute must.
In this conversation, you'll learn:
- How, regardless of our background or profession, the same things keep us in our comfort zone
- The three main roadblocks that keep us in our comfort zone
- How most people avoid expanding their comfort zone..and how that makes it harder next time around
- The three tools that help us to step out of our comfort zone
- Why having a purpose can help you overcome your fear
- How to make a challenging situation just a little more comfortable
- How props and symbols can connect you to your courage
- Why you have more power than you think you do to create change
- How to see taking a leap of faith as a learning opportunity...and how this is the trick to stepping outside your comfort zone
- How to manage your inner state to stop fearing the worst case scenario
- Why you stack the deck for success when you plan and prepare
- Don't underestimate how brave and courageous you can be...and have been many times in your life already
You can download Andy's free Get Out of Your Comfort Zone Guide at andymolinsky.com
Andy Molinsky -
Andy Molinsky is a Professor at Brandeis University’s International Business School, with a joint appointment in the Department of Psychology. Andy received his Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior and M.A. in Psychology from Harvard University.
Andy’s work helps people develop the insights and courage necessary to act outside their personal and cultural comfort zones when doing important, but challenging, tasks in work and life.
His research and writing has been featured in Harvard Business Review, Inc. Magazine, Psychology Today, the Financial Times, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Boston Globe, NPR and Voice of America. Andy was awarded as a Top Voice for LinkedIn for his work in education.
His first book, Global Dexterity, received the Axiom Award (Silver Medal) for Best Business Book in International Business & Globalization and has been used widely in organizations around the world, including Boeing, AIG, the US Air Force Academy, and the Clinton Foundation, among others. His new book Reach was published with Penguin Random House in January 2017.