Episode 14: Brooke Siem - Take Back Control of Your Life
Our guest this week is the speaker, writer and chef, Brooke Siem. Brooke describes herself as “categorically homeless”, having created a life as a digital nomad entrepreneur.
Brooke was a highly acclaimed chef and food writer in New York. However, she suffered huge depression and had been on anti-depressants since the age of 15, following the sudden death of her father.
So, she made a massive change by booking a one-way ticket to Malaysia and getting off the meds. Two years and 17 countries later, Brooke's primary focus is on advocating for mental health and wellness without the use of prescription drugs.
In this conversation, you'll learn:
- What life is like as a digital nomad/multi-entrepreneur
- The experience of finding wellness after coming off of anti-depressants
- How to keep yourself grounded while going through a big change
- You can be in charge of your life but YOU have to take control of your life
- How the use of metaphor can have a transformative effect
- The problem with how we look at anxiety and depression in the modern world...and a more empowering way of looking at it
- Why "selfishness" is actually the key to staying healthy
- Between the highlights is a lot of sweatpants and computer time!
- The need to take personal responsibility, even when you feel you are the victim of your circumstances
- The importance of learning to deal with your emotions rather than suppressing them
- An entrepreneurial idea that is just waiting for someone to exploit it...
- And a whole lot more!
You can join Brooke's newsletter at brookesiem.com
Brooke Siem - Speaker, Writer, Chef
Brooke Siem is a "categorically homeless" speaker, writer, and chef. Brooke spent a eight years in the New York City food and wine industry and was named one of Zagat's 30 Under 30. She became a Food Network "Chopped" champion and co-founded Prohibition Bakery and authoring the book of the same name,
Brooke's "successful" Manhattan life also fuelled a lifelong battle with depression. Prescribed antidepressant and anti-anxiety drugs at 15 years old after her father's sudden death, the opportunity for a life abroad sparked the realisation that she had been heavily medicated for half of her life. She decided to make a massive change.
Two years and 17 countries later, Brooke's primary focus is on advocating for mental health and wellness without the use of antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs. Brooke's goal is to show that it is possible to live a joyful, centred life without the use of antidepressants, no matter how far down the rabbit hole we once were.
As of May of 2017, Brooke sold her half of Prohibition Bakery in order to continue working and writing remotely. She is currently working on her second book, a memoir, and is currently based in Vancouver, BC.