Dorie Clark - Unleash The Entrepreneur In You!
In episode 6 of our "Unleashing Superpowers" season, we talk with Dorie Clark. Dorie is a marketing strategy consultant, author and speaker who specialises in "self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives".
Dorie is an adjunct professor at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University. She has interviewed hundreds of successful entrepreneurs and professionals and distilled what makes them successful in her three best selling books - "Reinventing You", "Stand Out" and "Entrepreneurial You". "Stand Out" was name by Inc Magazine as their no. 1 book on leadership in 2015.
What we love about Dorie is her highly pragmatic and practical approach to the business of self-reinvention. She is absolutely passionate about helping people take control of their professional life and make an impact. This interview is chock full of tips about how to give yourself more freedom, more security and to really live up to your potential.
In this episode, some of the highlights of our conversation include:
- How the first thing you try in after college or even after a pivot will often not be the thing that sticks
- What thinking like an entrepreneur is really about
- How to think like an entrepreneur, even if you are in a full-time job
- Why it is best to start small, spread the risk then lean into what is working
- Why data and testing are needed to validate hunches and intuition
- The 3 keys to being seen as an expert in your field
- “If you want to be known for your ideas, you have to SHARE your ideas!”
- Great networking tips for introverts and reluctant extroverts
- How taking action is so important, but it can be micro-steps
- How to give yourself more freedom or career security by creating new income streams, even if you have a day job
- How one experiment and lots of learning led to $200,000 of extra income
- Why you should use what your friends already see you as really good at as a starting point for entrepreneurial ventures
- Dorie’s productivity hack - Maker Days and Manager Days
The Recognised Expert Evaluation Toolkit - dorieclark.com/toolkit
The 88 question Entrepreneurial You self-assessment - dorieclark.com/entrepreneur
Dorie Clark: Author of Entrepreneurial You
Dorie Clark is a marketing strategy consultant, professional speaker, and frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review. Recognized as a “branding expert” by the Associated Press, Fortune, and Inc. magazine, she is the author of Entrepreneurial You (Harvard Business Review Press,), Reinventing You, and Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine and one of the Top 10 Business Books of the Year by Forbes. It was also a Washington Post bestseller. Her books have been translated into Russian, Chinese, Arabic, French, Polish, Korean, and Thai.
Clark, whom the New York Times described as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives,” consults and speaks for a diverse range of clients, including Google, the World Bank, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, the Ford Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Yale University.
A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, Clark is an adjunct professor of business administration at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and a Visiting Professor for IE Business School in Madrid, Spain.
Her work has been published in the Harvard Business Review Guide to Getting the Right Job and the Harvard Business Review Guide to Networking, and she is quoted frequently in the worldwide media, including NPR, the BBC, and MSNBC. She is also a regular commentator on Canada’s CTV and was named one of Inc. magazine’s “100 Great Leadership Speakers for Your Next Conference.”